You reported that Bellevue has a “Diversity Initiative” and a Diversity Advisory Network. An immigrant friend suggested an America Assimilation Network too so he could get up to speed faster in his new country. He even suggested some topics:
• National debt: does his family of four really owe $250,000 and to whom?
• Federal government: does the IRS, the FBI and justice play favorites? Why?
• Crony socialists and establishment elites: are these like Oligarchs in Europe?
• Regulations: why is it so hard to get a business off the ground?
• Comprehensive reforms: why does Congress seem to want to start legislation from scratch when there is a problem?
• Obamacare: should a newcomer just pay the fine and save money?
• Secularism: is this a new religion and is it replacing Christianity?
• Sound Transit: if the intent is not to reduce road congestion, why spend so much money?
I suggested my friend not give up on his new country. Look backward, I said, to the intent of the founders and the Constitution and the greatest generation. He said he takes progressive leftism with a grain of salt — he left that behind because it did not work.
I again welcomed him to America. He is asking some good questions and perhaps Bellevue will form the America Assimilation Network, as part of the “Diversity Initiative,” to help him.
R. Francis Crerand