After serving the christian community for over 65 years, the Eastgate Congregational United Church of Christ (ECUCC) in Bellevue have announced the sale of the building and the grounds.
The COVID-19 pandemic played a role in the decision to sell because for at least two years the church community was unable to use the building and grounds, and they moved their worship to Zoom. King County property sales records show ECUCC was sold to Mission Gathering Christian Church on December 8, 2021 for $900,000.
ECUCC said surveys and discussions were instrumental in making the final decision to sell the property. The surveys included votes about how the income from a large sale would be disseminated, and each ECUCC member had the opportunity to provide input about the eventual distribution of income generated by the sale.
A list of charitable organizations was developed as a result, and ECUCC announced an initial amount of $640,000 to be distributed to the following organizations:
- African American Reach and Teach Health Ministry
- American Indian College Fund
- Anacortes Family Center
- Congregations for the Homeless
- FISH of Vancouver
- Food Lifeline
- Habitat for Humanity Seattle & King County
- Humane Society of Seattle–King County
- Issaquah Food and Clothing Bank
- Low Income Housing Institute
- Mary’s Place
- Metaline Falls CUCC Benevolence Fund
- Northwest Harvest
- Page Ahead Children’s Literacy Program
- The Sophia Way
- UCC Christmas Fund
- UCC One Great Hour of Sharing
- World Central Kitchen
The listed organizations will receive an announcement letter from ECUCC providing the specific amount to be given.
The Reporter reached out to see when the funds would be distributed but received no response.