The Medina Market, known locally as “the little little green store,” celebrated its 100th year in business Aug. 2 with a grand opening celebration.
The store has been a fixture of the Medina community since 1908, but in 2000, owner Hae C. Lee learned that the original store, built without a foundation, would need to be rebuilt to in order to serve future generations. Lee worked with architects, local residents, and city staff to create a new store that replicates the look and feel of the original building.
Today the store features the familiar green paint carefully matched to siding saved from the original structure, bright red doors, and custom cut corbels and dentil molding to replicate the original white trim. Inside wood floors, period lighting and historic photos and memorabilia evoke the nostalgic charm and character of earlier times.
Situated between the town post office and Medina City Hall, the Medina Market offers espresso, deli foods, fresh produce and a wide variety of candy. The store also will feature fine wines, pastries, beverages and other products created by local residents in addition to such touches such as the jar of dog treats hand delivered to the store by a neighbor.
Helen Lee, who along with her brother and sister spent her childhood years in Medina, will join her mother as store manager.