News

Smoldering cigarette butt believed to have caused $530,000 in damage to two Newcastle houses

Bellevue fire investigators suspect that a smoldering cigarette butt in a plastic container started fire that significantly damaged two Newcastle homes Saturday afternoon.

"A neighbor called in the fire at 12:17 p.m. Saturday, reporting smoke and flames coming from the chimney of her neighbor’s house," according to a press release from the Bellevue fire department. "Within seven minutes, firefighters arrived in the 8300 block of 128th Avenue Southeast to find heavy flames through the roof of the single-family residence."

Firefighters were ordered to abandon the home when part of the roof collapsed, and because they were forced to fight the fire from the exterior, there was "significant damage," estimated at $500,000, to the home.

The wind blew hot embers from the first house onto the cedar shake roof of a second home, which also caught fire, but firefighters were able to contain that second fire to the attic space. Damage to the second home was estimated to at $30,000, and the fire department described it as, "minimal." Residents were able to reoccupy the house late Saturday evening.

Twenty-three units from Bellevue, Mercer Island, Renton, and Eastside Fire and Rescue spent more than an hour to control the fires at the two homes. No one was injured.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


View Larger Map

 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Nov 28
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates