Bellevue’s City Council has authorized $500,000 to support a Commercial Rental Relief Grant Program to provide relief to Bellevue businesses and arts nonprofits impacted by COVID-19 using Federal American Rescue Plan Act dollars.
This program provides a limited number of $2,500 – $15,000 rental relief grants to small, Bellevue businesses and non-profit arts organizations that meet specific criteria, and requires the cooperation of both the landlord and tenant.
The program is not applicable to commercial owners of residential properties, only property owners with commercial tenants.
This grant, payable to the property owner or landlord of a respective small business, can only be used as a payment against a small business’ rental arrears. Rental arrears may include utilities and other costs and fees related to the tenant’s occupancy of the rental property that the tenant is obligated to pay directly to the landlord.
Business / Tenant Eligibility Requirements:
• A small business or art specific (as determined by NAICS code) non-profit organization
• In possession of a Bellevue business license obtained on or before March 1st, 2020
• Employs 2-25 employees and has gross annual revenue under $5M
• Has back rent or lease arrears resulting from COVID-19 economic impacts or ensuing public health restrictions
• In good standing (has a current business license; City taxes and fees paid; current on all State and regulatory requirements; not facing pending litigation or legal action by a governmental agency, including Bellevue code enforcement; is not debarred, suspended, or proposed for debarment by any Federal department or agency)
• Business / tenant was not past due on rent prior to March 1, 2020
Application and Selection Process:
• Applications must be submitted no later than Sunday, October 10th, 2021 at 11:59 PM
• Eligible applications will be randomly selected through a lottery process with priority given to target sectors (personal services, health/wellness, and creative economy)
• Complete the online application at www.bellevuewa.gov/BizResources
-Assistance in multiple languages can be requested at re.startup425.org/technical-assistancerequest/
-Paper applications may be requested at firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-452-4114
• Staff will notify successful applicants and provide grant contract information by October 18th, 2021
In their application, tenants must:
• Submit their current amount of rent arrears
• Attest that the business was not past due on rent prior to March 1, 2020
• Attest that the business was unable to make rent payments at some point between March 1,
2020, and August 31st, 2021, due to one of the following two causes: Tenant was prohibited from operation due to the COVID-19 pandemic for the period of time for which rental arrears are requested, or Tenant can demonstrate a decline in gross receipts due to the COVID-19 pandemic at least equal to the unpaid rent amount. Gross receipts includes any grants from public or private sources that were intended to mitigate financial hardship due the COVID-19 pandemic and that do not have to be repaid
• Attest that the rental arrears have not been reimbursed by any other funding source, whether
public or private in nature
• Attest that the business is open and intends to remain open or will reopen when restrictions are lifted
• Submit a lobbying certification form and, if applicable, a lobbying disclosure form
Applications close October 10th, 2021 at 11:59 PM. Details and assistance are available at
Questions regarding this grant program can be directed to City of Bellevue at email@example.com or 425-452-5241. Assistance completing the application in multiple
languages can be requested at re.startup425.org/technical-assistance-request/.