The Frederick W. Winters House was built in 1929 by Frederick and Cecilia Winters.
The Winters purchased 10 acres along the Mercer Slough in 1917 to establish a wholesale florist business. The Winters House is significant for its Spanish eclectic architectural style and its association with bulb growing and the floral industry in King County and Washington state.
It is the only building in Bellevue on the National Register of Historic Places. It is one of the few buildings associated with the past agricultural activity in the Bellevue area that remains on its original site and has retained its architectural integrity.
Purchased by the city of Bellevue in 1988, the house was restored in 1990 to its 1929 vintage, a project spearheaded by the Bellevue Historical Society, and was listed on the national register in 1992.
The facility now houses Eastside Heritage Center’s archives. The house is open to the public for tours on Tuesdays (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) and Saturdays (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.). The center’s archives are accessible to researchers on Tuesdays and by appointment.
This information and image were provided by the Eastside Heritage Center. To learn more about Bellevue and Eastside history, contact the Eastside Heritage Center at 425-450-1049 or visit www.EastsideHeritageCenter.org.