Bellevue police close another decades-old homicide case

A decades-old homicide case that remained open in spite of the identification of the shooter has officially been closed.

A decades-old homicide case that remained open in spite of the identification of the shooter has officially been closed.

Mark Biggerstaff was shot to death in 1974 after trying to force his way into a his mother-in-law’s private residence, where his estranged wife was staying at the time. He reportedly gained access to the residence by smashing through a living room window, armed with a knife.

According to Bellevue police, the protection of a male family friend had been sought after Biggerstaff had made repeated threats toward his wife and her mother. After Biggerstaff had forced his way into the home, he was confronted by his wife’s male friend. Biggerstaff refused commands to stop, and was then shot with a rifle.

The Bellevue Police Department arrested the shooter at the residence that evening. The King County Prosecutor’s Office reviewed the case, but declined to file charges, as the shooting was determined to be in self-defense.

Why the case remained open for 40 years was unclear.

“The stated case is 42 years old and at some point it was put on the cold-case list, so we don’t have an answer as to why it was not listed as closed back in the 1970s,” the department said in a statement. “This is one of the reasons and benefits of why [the department] assigned a cold-case detective to review the cold-case homicides to determine the status of these cases, which led to the disposition of the Biggerstaff case.”

Biggerstaff’s death was one of seven open homicides and 10 missing persons cases assigned to Bellevue Detective Jerry Johnson.

After the department’s success solving the 1980 murder of Susan Lowe in 2013, they decided to revisit their open cases.

“While time can often be a disadvantage, sometimes it can also be an advantage,” Major Pat Spak said after Johnson’s appointment in January.

This is the department’s second cold case closed this year. Last month, the murder of Loren Sundholm — the city’s first homicide — was officially solved by another police detective.

More in News

Bellevue police investigating suspicious death of 17-year-old girl

She was found outside of a Bellevue house Wednesday evening.

Factoria Mall owners submit application to redevelop property

The proposed build-out would create 685 housing units and add 151,000 square feet to the mall.

King County Council passes renter protections bill

The legislation is intended to prevent landlords from discriminating based on the source of a prospective tenant’s income.

Bellevue proclaims April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Local resident shares how community resources helped her family heal from abuse.

Photo courtesy of PSE
PSE offers ways to reduce carbon footprints this Earth Month

PSE plans to hand out thousands of seeds and seedlings at events throughout the Eastside.

Retrial for bullying lawsuit against Bellevue School District set for April 30

A former Bellevue family alleges the school district failed to protect their daughter.

Cultural conversations set for April 24

Bellevue is hosting its monthly event that focuses on the city’s thriving diversity.

Activists begin collecting signatures for November carbon fee initiative

A carbon fee could be on November’s ballot if supporters of I-1631 gather enough signatures.

An artist rendering of the Tateuchi Center in Bellevue. Courtesy of the Tateuchi Center
County funding for Tateuchi Center project in jeopardy

The proposed performing arts center could lose $1.2 million.

Most Read