News

Woman escapes fire after smoke detector sounds

Firefighters work to douse a fire at an apartment complex early Monday morning, Feb. 23.  - Bellevue Fire Department photo
Firefighters work to douse a fire at an apartment complex early Monday morning, Feb. 23.
— image credit: Bellevue Fire Department photo

A young Bellevue woman woke up Monday to the sound of a smoke detector alarm and was able to safely escape an apartment that was eventually destroyed by a fire. The fire started in a bedroom on the first-floor from what the occupant claimed may have been an unattended votive candle.

Firefighters from Bellevue, Kirkland and Redmond worked to control the fire at the Cedar Terrace Apartments in the 3200 block of 115th Ave. N.E. The first 911 call at 8:50 a.m. described flames shooting out from a first-floor window and extending to the roof of the two-story building. Several used fire extinguishers lay near the window where bystanders attempted to battle the flames.

The fire damaged two dwelling units to the point that they will need repair work before they will be habitable again. An apartment manager said that all displaced residents will immediately be able to move into some available units that are on site.

The damage estimate is expected to be nearly $200,000. Neither firefighters nor residents reported any injuries from the fire.

Our Mobile Apps

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.