News

Tar fire threatens Bellevue High School

Bellevue Firefighters quickly extinguished a tar kettle fire that occurred feet from Bellevue High School and a large propane tank. - Courtesy Photo, Bellevue Fire Department
Bellevue Firefighters quickly extinguished a tar kettle fire that occurred feet from Bellevue High School and a large propane tank.
— image credit: Courtesy Photo, Bellevue Fire Department

A malfunctioning tar kettle caused a fire at a construction site near Bellevue High School Friday.

Fire officials said the thermometer of kettle, which can hold as much as 600 gallons of hot tar, failed causing the material to ignite. Firefighters on the scene called for extensive backup as the fire occurred only 30 feet away from the school and a 100-gallon propane tank. The fire ignited quickly and plumes of black smoke could be seen throughout the city.

Firefighters spent more than two hours at the site to make sure the kettle would not reignite. No one was injured in the incident.

Our Mobile Apps

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.