News

Burning candle leads to house fire

An unattended candle caused a fire that burned through the downstairs bedroom of a Bellevue home - Courtesy Photo, Bellevue Fire Department
An unattended candle caused a fire that burned through the downstairs bedroom of a Bellevue home
— image credit: Courtesy Photo, Bellevue Fire Department

An unattended candle ignited a house fire Tuesday evening on the 4100 block of 140th Avenue Northeast in Bellevue.

At approximately 6:10 p.m. the owner of the two-story home reported a fire in the downstairs bedroom. A candle had been left burning next to the bed, and the mattress and box spring both caught on fire. Fire crews from Bellevue and Redmond arrived at the home, which was filled with smoke and removed the mattress and box spring.

No one was hurt in the fire, and the residents are working on finding temporary housing, officials said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Aug 29 edition online now. Browse the archives.