Smoke detector wakes man in time to flee burning home

A smoke detector awoke a 30 year old Bellevue man at the 300 block of 145th Place N.E. in time to escape from his burning home on Saturday.

Smoke coming from  the downstairs living room prevented the man from reaching a phone to call 9-1-1 and forced him to flee.

Bellevue firefighters found flames coming from the first and second stories of the home and were able to contain the fire after venting gasses from the attic by cutting holes in the roof. They are seeking to identify the origin and cause of the fire that damaged the $300,000 home beyond repair.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates