News

Firefighters retrieve cat from apartment blaze

A fire that started near a dryer Tuesday night caused $60,000 damage to a Lake Hills apartment.

Bellevue fire crews extinguished the fire and rescued a cat trapped in the apartment. There were no injuries to firefighters or residents.

At about 9:30 p.m., a neighbor reported the blaze at the Sammamish View Apartments in the 16100 block of Southeast Eastgate Way. According to the Bellevue Fire Department, the fire likely started in or around the dryer and quickly spread into an apartment hallway.

Bellevue fire investigators continued to comb the scene for clues about the fire’s origin Wednesday, but the cause is believed to be accidental, they said.

The apartment residents were not at home at the time, and neighbors were able to escape safely.

Firefighters checking the apartment after the fire found the residents’ cat, suffering from smoke inhalation. Firefighter/EMTs transported the cat to an animal hospital. The cat was in stable condition Wednesday morning.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates