1. It is well known that Bellevue Police coverage at night is poor. What increase in police protection will the area receive? I know from communication with a Bellevue PD officer that the entire southeast section of Bellevue from I-90 to Newcastle, and I-405 to Issaquah is patrolled by exactly one officer at night. That is simply ridiculous. Please clarify.
2. The Bellevue Police Chief serves at invitation of mayor and confirmation of council. His comments about the non-significance of this new facility must be taken with a grain of salt.
3. Do comments of neighbors count for anything? I think they do not, and thus never attend these “show” civic meetings. Decisions largely made prior to these meetings.
4. Expansion plans — what is ultimate goal of number of folks to be housed at this location?
5. Time limits — how long can folks stay here, and what training/inducements are granted to help them move out into society and the workplace? I believe work and health training, drug-free environment, and timelines for return to society are essential factors in any homeless housing. Are any of these requirements?
5a. Downtown YMCA and various Missions have vacant beds every night. Why? They have rules and parameters. Without rules, the residents of this proposed housing project will not be positive contributors to our Eastgate community.
6. Other two locations will undoubtedly get similar facilities in the future. If you build homeless housing for folks, won’t people flock here from around the country? Why not? Providing housing without any requirements makes no sense to me!
Paul Berton Birkeland