- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Survey shows Eastside economy should grow over next year
The Eastside economy should see growth over the next year, according to a consumer shopping survey conducted by Pulse of America and the Bellevue Reporter. In addition, the survey indicated that most new jobs will be created by new or expanding small businesses.
According to the survey:
- 34 percent of survey respondents expect their household spending to increase over the next 12 months, while only 18 percent say it will go down.
- 28 percent of respondents say that they plan to spend more at locally owned businesses rather than the Internet or out of town over the same period, while 62 percent state their local spending will be the same.
The survey covered hundreds of small business types and provided details on where respondents intend to shop in the next 12 months. Details include:
- 11 percent intend to shop for a used car;
- 10 percent intend to shop for a new car (which is up over their previous quarters);
- 10 percent expect to use a landscaping service;
- 16 percent will shop at a furniture store;
- 15 percent will shop at a jewelry store; and
- 10 percent will use a legal firm.
The survey also contained some interesting nuggets:
- 23 percent plan to go to a bowling alley, compared to 16 percent who plan to use a golf course;
- 21 percent plan to change auto insurance providers;
- 23 percent plan to change or get a new dentist; and
- 13 percent plan to change their cellular phone provider.
The survey noticed certain trends, too.
- 14 percent of respondents plan to buy a tablet in the next 12 months; 20 percent already do own a tablet;
- More than twice as many respondents (68 percent) use Facebook at least weekly compared to 33 percent who use YouTube. Only 11 percent use Twitter at least weekly.
The complete survey shopping results are available to any local small business by calling the Bellevue Reporter's National Sales office at 360-394-5833. Finally, local residents are invited to participate in the current Pulse of America survey. Those participating in the survey will be entered in a drawing for a Visa card, pre-loaded with $4,000 that they can spend whenever and wherever they want.